Methods of calming dental anxiety
- Posted on: Oct 30 2022
Dental anxiety can happen to anyone at any age and may be caused by a fear of the unknown, by past negative dental appointments, or due to apprehension because of pain and discomfort. At Golden Dental Solutions, our dentists work with patients to help them feel at ease if they deal with dental anxiety. Learn more about our recommended methods for reducing dental anxiety and fear before your next visit to our office!
How can I reduce dental anxiety?
Below are a few ways to calm yourself and reduce your anxiety before visiting the dentist’s chair:
- Speak to your dentist about the level of your dental anxiety. Drs. Nancy Gill, Dallas Kenson, and Evelyn Qi of Golden Dental Solutions understand that patients of all ages deal with dental anxiety. They may have ways to help, including sedatives to ensure you are calm during your appointment.
- Plan your dental appointment on a day when you are calm and relaxed. Do not plan your dentist appointment on a day when you have a lot going on, as this can build anxiety. Instead, choose a day with not much else going on to address the anxiety that may develop.
- Consider calming yourself before your visit with yoga or meditation. Yoga, meditation, and mindfulness exercises are a great way to relax prior to your appointment.
- Limit intake of sugars and caffeine. Sugars and caffeine can ramp up both your heart rate and anxiety. You may also feel jittery. Instead, consider alternative beverages and foods that won’t elevate your anxious feelings.
- Visit the dentist regularly. By seeing your family dentist regularly, you can adjust and learn to trust in his or her care. Patients are encouraged to see their dentist at least twice a year for a cleaning and evaluation. Any dental concerns that are spotted during these appointments can be discussed at the same time to prepare patients for potential work in the future.
How do I schedule an appointment with my dentist?
If you are ready to overcome your anxiety and get into the dentist for necessary work, call Golden Dental Solutions at 303-277-9600 to request an appointment. With our team’s help, you can achieve and maintain your oral health and wellness even if you struggle with dental anxiety. We are open to new and returning patients in the community of Golden, CO, and beyond!